- Joined Seton Hill
- Ithaca, NY
- Contact Info
I grew up with in central New York state, raised by parents who were college teachers. I always had a strong interest in biology. Summers I went swimming, fishing, boating and exploring with my three sisters and brother. In the winter we skated, went sledding and enjoyed the snow. I lived in several northeast states completing my education, before moving to Texas to teach in horticulture and plant biology. In the mid 1990’s I relocated back to the northeast for the opportunity to teach biology and genetics.
- Ph.D., University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 1987
- M.S., Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 1980
- B.S., Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 1977
- PROFESSIONAL BOOK CHAPTERS Rogers SMD, Beech J, Sarma KS. 2001. Tissue Culture and Transient Gene Expression Studies in Freshwater Wetland Monocots. Book Chapter Published in: Transformation of Plants – Biotechnology in Agriculture and Forestry. Ed: Bajaj YS, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Germany. pp 337-351. Rogers, SMD, Beech J, Sarma KS. 2000. Cattail and rush tissue culture and transient gene expression studies. Book Chapter Published in: Wetlands & Remediation An International Conference. Ed: Means JL and Hinchee PE, Battelle Press, Columbus, OH. pp 153-160.
- JOURNALS Nandakumar R, Chen L, ROGERS SMD. 2007. A stable and reproducible transformation system for the wetland monocot Juncus accuminatus (bulrush) mediated by Agrobacterium tumefaciens. In Vitro Cell. Dev. Bio. - Plant. 43:187-194.
- Nandakumar R, Chen L, Rogers SMD. 2005. Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of the wetland monocot Typha latifolia (Broadleaf cattail). Plant Cell Reports. 23:744-750.
- Nandakumar R, Chen L, Rogers SMD. 2004. Factors affecting the Agrobacterium-mediated transient transformation of the wetland monocot, Typha latifolia. Plant, Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture. 79: 31-38
- Rogers SMD. 2003. Tissue culture and wetland establishment of the freshwater monocots Carex, Juncus, Scirpus and Typha. In Vitro Cell. Dev. Bio. – Plant. 39:1-5.
- Sarma KS, Rogers SMD. 2000. Plant regeneration from seedling explants of the wetland monocot Soft Rush (Juncus effusus). Aquatic Botany. 1424:1-9
- Rogers SMD, Beech J, Sarma KS. 1998. Shoot regeneration and plant acclimatization of the wetland monocot Cattail (Typha latifolia). Plant Cell Reports. 18:71-75.
- Sarma KS, Rogers SMD. 1998. Plant regeneration and micropropagation of the emergent wetland monocot Juncus accuminatus. Plant Cell Reports. 17:656-660.
- Pinto, ACQ, SMD Rogers, DH Byrne. 1994. Growth of immature peach embryos in response to media, method of ovule support and ovule manipulation. HortScience. 29:1081-1083.
- Pinto, ACQ, DH Byrne, SMD Rogers. 1993. Influence of ovule perforation, plant growth regulators, and L-glutamine on in vitro growth of immature peach embryos. In Vitro Cell. Dev. Bio. - Plant. 29:55-58.
- Rogers, SMD, D Stair, M Dahmer. 1993. Characterization of Buffelgrass (Cenchrus ciliaris L.) suspension cultures. In Vitro Cell. Dev. Bio. – Plant. 29:51-54.
- Rogers, SMD. 1993. Phenotypic differences in regeneration capacity in the monocot Haworthia. In Vitro Cell. Dev. Bio. - Plant. 29:9-12.
- Rogers, SMD. 1993. Optimization of plant regeneration and rooting from leaf explants of five rare Haworthia. Scientia Horticulturae. 56:157-161.
- Rogers, SMD, S Bannister. 1992. Micropropagation of the Notholaena fern ‘Sun-Tuff.’ HortScience 27:1224-1225.
- Zimmerman, TW, SMD Rogers, BG Cobb. 1991. Controlling vitrification of petunia in vitro. In Vitro Cell. Dev. Bio.- Plant. 27:165-167.
- Xu, L, SMD Rogers, C Goldstein, JM Widholm, Govindjee. 1989. Fluorescence characteristics of photoautotrophic soybean cells. Photosynthesis Research 21:93-106.
- Xu, L, C Blair, SMD Rogers, Govindjee, JM Widholm. 1988. Characteristics of five new photoautotrophic suspension cultures including two Amaranthus species and a cotton stain growing on ambient CO2 levels. Plant Physiology. 88:1297-1302.
- Rogers, SMD, JM Widholm. 1987. Comparison of photosynthetic characteristics of two photoautotrophic soybean suspension cultures. Plant Science 56:69-74.
- Rogers, SMD, JM Widholm. 1987. Photosynthetic characteristics of photoautotrophic cell suspension culture of soybean. Plant Physiology. 84:1451-1456.
- Grant WV Biomedical Research Infrastructure Network, 2004, 2003, 2002.
- Grant, WV EPSCoR Science and Technology Innovation Grant Program, 2003
- Grant NASA WV EPSCoR 2002, 2001
- Grant, West Virginia NASA EPSCoR Planning Grant 2000-2002.
- Grant NASA WV Space Grant Consortium 2000-2001 K-12 Outreach Project
- Grant USDA National Research Initiative Award, 1999-2001.
- Grant, Career Enhancement Award for WV Women and Minorities in Science. 1998, 1997
- Grant NASA WV Space Grant Consortium Research Capability Enhancement Grants, 1998 and 1999.
- Grant National Science Foundation (NSF) Academic Research Infrastructure Program. 1995.
- Grants-in-Aid of Research: Sigma Xi. 1990.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Association of University Women
- American Society of Plant Biologists
- National Association of Professional Women
- Society for In Vitro Biology; 2002-2004 - Vice President Plant Division
- Distinguished Service Award, Society for In Vitro Biology, 2004
- American Men and Women of Science, 1994
- Gamma Sigma Delta Honorary 1985
- Burlison Fellow Award, 1985